But if that doesn’t quite meet your needs, we’ve rounded up a bunch of solid options for nearly every scenario. The guys that are installing it said the cedar is dry and they will be giving it a light sand when they are done. Should I pressure wash first? Never use steel wool on a deck, it always rusts like this. Thanks! Best to leave this deck alone as you cannot stain it yet anyhow. Is it ok to let it weather over the winter and wait till spring to stain? However, all these stains appear to leave the cedar with a red looking finish, even when the natural color is selected. The contractor says to do nothing and let it just weather naturally. which comes with amazing features you’ve never heard before. Simply brighten the wood with DEFY Wood Brightener and apply a single maintenance coat of DEFY Extreme Wood Stain. Good for decks 10+ years old. Clear with no tint means zero UV protection. Prep with Restore A Deck Kits and stain with the RAD semi-transparent stain or Armstrong Clark. Thank you … what about the sealer? The good news is, we’ve tested tons of these increasingly popular true stain for cedar, and found the best of the best. Keep your deck, fence or siding looking great for longer by using DEFY premium wood stains. Use a deck cleaner and a wood brightener for prep. 1. Thank you for your help! Final question, How long should I wait before applying either the stain or sealer? Stain with TWP 1500 or Armstrong Clark stains. I replaced my deck last summer with new Red Cedar decking from Menards. My deck, stairs, railings, fence and trellis are a combination of 1) natural cedar, 2) cedar- toned, pressure treated southern pine, and 3) regular pt pine. The ceiling is clear cedar tongue and groove which is about 6 years old. You have to weather and prep. Weather is very harsh for the wood. We have just had a cedar deck installed and it was coated with a Cloverdale oil based stain. Do I need to weather rough sawn cedar if it passes an absorption test? I used these same products a second time and in using the cleaner with a brush everything looked good again but when brushing the brush would “clog” with a dark, pasty, substance literally every board foot of cleaning. Sealed with thompsons water seal. During the winter , snow will be about 6 feet over the deck, Temperature will go minus 30 fahrenheit. As long as the wood has a low moisture content, it can be stained right away. You cannot do anything to reduce the new wood from being slippery. See this about new wood: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/how-long-should-you-wait-to-stain-a-new-deck/. I just got a new cedar deck installed. I see you recommend waiting until spring to stain. This type of stain dries very slow which is one reason why some people don’t like using this. As a way to reduce and halt rust formation, the stain contains water-repellants. Having undergone thorough testing, we hope that... Getting the right one in a market with various options is a time-consuming task. We let him do this. New cedar wood should be cleaned using a sodium percarbonate wood cleaner to remove mill glaze and other contaminants that may have infiltrated the wood during construction. Best to remove it fully and then follow the directions for the stain/sealer he is using when it comes to new wood. The application procedure is quite simple. We are having our current deck replaced with cedar decking. That’s very useful. I’m going to wrap the posts on my porch and would like to keep as much of the original color and look as possible. Yes it will gray but that is okay and expected. Which should I use? Live in Iowa, cold winters and hot humid summers. Send me your email, and I can send pictures of my nightmare!! Chronic problem with stain not penetrating and uneven build-up leading to flaking and peeling. The Defy water-based is just as effective as an oil-based. Just sanded all the up right cedar posts and rails. And while some oils have a difficult time penetrating newer, denser wood… After winter (live in Wisconsin) I see a lot of the sealer has come off. Thoughts? You do not need to pressure wash prior to sanding. See here for more info on prep products needed and stains suggested: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/how-long-should-you-wait-to-stain-a-new-deck/. Temperatures in the high 50s now but turning colder soon. Another similar stain best for new cedar wood is Timber Oil Brand. Id had to rush to stain now if not necessary, but we don’t want a grey deck/fences. No, you cannot stain first and then coat over. I have to refinish a cedar deck that’s more than two years old. In terms of stain, I am looking at either Armstrong Clark or TWP 1500. It is packed with all the outstanding qualities to embellish the look of your house. TWP 1500 Series or Armstrong Clark stains. Best Cedar Stain And Sealer 2020 – Top 10 Rated. We live in Colorado. I want to try and restore that natural look while protecting it as much as possible. It's great for staining wood decks, fences, siding, playsets, outdoor patio furniture, and more. Western Red Cedar that has been finished with paints or solid-color stains is best refinished with the same type of finish originally applied. Thanks! Questions: how long to wait before putting anything on the deck and what is recommended as a stain/sealant? The DEK will peel on your deck. What do you recommend ? We had a pergola built last week out of Alaskan yellow cedar and we were going to stain this weekend but read that we should wait 3+ months. What is best for Tight Knot Cedar? No weathering time was allowed before the first application of Wolman oil based clear sealer. I love the look of the pillars someone posted in a pic in the comments which you said were untreated. It is composed of both drying and non-drying oils that break apart from one another throughout the application process. All help is through the website. This is a perfect choice currently available in the market at the cheapest price. My log siding was stained with a Sikkens products 4 year ago and stills looks like it was stained yesterday. That’s why we examined brands to come up with this list of the butane micro torch. Our painter recommended that to clean the greying and dirt of a new cedar deck (installed in July) we should power wash it. We are planning to strip, brighten and re-stain, but are unsure on what products to use and how long to wait between steps. I waited a few months and then used deck cleaner, then Having undergone thorough testing, we hope that you’re... © Digital Best Review | In Affiliate Partnership With Amazon.com, Top 10 Best Extreme Bond Primer Our Picks 2020, Top 10 Best What Kills Roaches Instantly Our Picks 2020, Top 10 Best Air Hawk Tire Inflator available in 2020, Top 10 Best Butane Micro Torch available in 2020, Top 10 Best Outdoor Solar Spot Lights Our Top Picks in 2020, Top 10 Best 20 Ton Log Splitter Our Top Picks in 2020, Top 10 Best Husqvarna Riding Mowers Our Picks 2020, Top 10 Best Festool Circular Saw Our Picks 2020, Top 10 Best Wet Tile Saw Our Top Picks in 2020, Top 10 Best Knife Sharpener Electric Our Top Picks in 2020, Top 10 Best Patching Drywall Holes Our Picks 2020, Top 10 Best Stump Killer Lowes Our Picks 2020, Top 10 Best Gas Power Washer Our Top Picks in 2020. That would put us into late fall in the Colorado weather to put the oil stain on. We want the natural color of cedar as possible and understand the need for UV protection. The stain is also an excellent water repellent and offers protection against the sun. Just one coat is needed. After my first post, I was reading your review of Restore-a-Deck Stain. Do I need to clean rough pieces on vertical rail sections? Thank you. 9.7 . If possible, I’d like to avoid using these products because of the chemicals. Right now, our top pick is the Krylon K03601000 Exterior Semi-Transparent Wood Stain, Cedar, 12 Ounce which feature incredible active. Thanks. Look at one of these brands: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/the-5-best-deck-stain-reviews-and-ratings/. Do not use it. Try TWP 200 Series or Armstrong Clark. My lack of decision on a stain as well as lots of wet weather have prevented staining this far. I pressure washed it about 3 years ago at half throttle. It must be tinted if you do not want the wood to gray in a matter of months. Should i use oil base or water? Yes. My tight knot Cedar Deck is a year old… I live in Portland Oregon. WATER-BASED SEMI-TRANSPARENT WOOD STAIN – This environmentally friendly, water based deck stain allows the wood grain to show through with a beautiful semi-transparent, natural matte finish. EXTREMELY DURABLE, QUALITY THAT LASTS – DEFY Extreme wood stains are made with the highest quality resins available that have better resistance to fading and darkening. Reviews: Top 7 Best Stain for Swing Set in 2020 1. I will try one of your suggestions, but I’m wondering which one of these products (semi transparent) will adhere the best as it is a very messy job with the work area above your head. After the first time this happened we pressure washed and re-stained. No, not really. How Often Should you Stain your Deck? The wood was rough and well seasoned and I ran the decking through a plainer to create a smooth surface and restore the grain. What is the best […] Please help. We live in a climate similar to Seattle. Do I need to CLEAN and BRIGHTEN my new rough sawn cedar wrapped posts before staining? May be applied using sprayer, roller or brush onto the woods surface. I am thinking of using Sikkens Proluxe DEK. I was able to get some samples of the colors you mentioned as well as a few colors of the Defy. Will it turn grey over the winter? Should I hold off staining as others have done? ok – just confirming that even if it is not pressure treated, we should wait until spring to apply the stain ? Darker colors will give longer UV protection. Be careful when using the pressure washer as it may damage the wood. Thx! I made a big mistake, I stained my new white cedar deck right after it was installed. What product will penetrate best and last longest. The best stains should last three to five years on a deck, and even longer if applied to siding or fences, which don't get as much abuse. Only exposed wood needs to be prepped and stained. Getting the right one in a market with various options is a time-consuming task. We prefer natural look of wood, not color. When it comes to staining your cedar, you have three choices: natural, semi -transparent, and coloured or opaque. Thank you. We have a 95 x 12 foot red cedar deck that is almost 10 years old. We recommend you wait 3+ months to stain new smooth cedar wood surfaces to allow the wood to weather, creating an ideal porous surface that will hold the stain better. Needless to say it did not cure(?). Prep with their Gemini Restore A Deck Kit and light ... First time homeowner looking for advice. I don’t mind sanding again and avoiding the steel wool if need be. i am purchasing western cedar tongue and groove siding for my beach home. Home Depot guy recommended using an Olympic product (I think it was elite or maximum) that he said could be applied even if wood is wet (which it sort of is from the morning fog). You should pressure wash it the same way that you did in the beginning, prior to staining. I didn’t realize you could remove the grey and restore it to the “new cedar” look ! Any advise would be greatly appreciated. No need to weather new rough sawn wood if clean and dry. I want to protect it but I am hesitant because I do not want to compromise the light look. https://www.deckstainhelp.com/best-semi-transparent-deck-stain-reviews-2020/. There are not any brown/gray colors but you can get a brown color. Best Stains For Cedar Shingles Will never chip or peel Can be oil based or water based Can be a transparent, semi-transparent Are actually a stain, not a solid paint … With sturdy rot-resistant wood like pressure-treated pine and cedar, you can choose whether or not to add stain or sealant, but either type is best preserved by staining or sealing. The few solid particles in this mix will not significantly obscure cedar's wood grain. Ask Deck Help Questions & Post Product Reviews! These stains penetrate into the cedar and harden up its surface enough to make it resist moisture from rain, snow and ice. I have been told that it is iron shavings but even with sanding it is still visible we don’t know if we should sand it or what to do. How to Choose the Best Exterior Stain for Cedar Siding? Try a “natural” tinted stain. ok – thanks. Would you recommend it in this situation? We live in the SF Bay Area. Offering one of the best and safest ways to preserve wood. Meanwhile, it rained and the deck is very slippery when wet, what recommendations do you have for reducing slippage it’s the main entrance and we’re in a northern climate so it’s a deck that will also be shoveled. Is there an effective approach to preparing for staining without the cleaner and brightener? It’s very tacky. This post is sponsored by Minwax. Strip and or sand it off, brighten the wood, then let it properly weather. Question, just installed a western cedar deck and it’s too late to stain if we’re going to wait 3 months. Olympic WaterGuard 1 gal. When you say Timber Oil, are yiu referring to Cabots Australian timber oil? Main entrance stairs. I wasnt aware of the mill glaze at the time. It is also oil-based: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/penofin-blue-label-wood-deck-stain-review/. I see that the TWP 200 that you recommend has a temp range of 45-95 F, so we could still stain / seal the deck this year using this product. Do I also do treated wood support system (walk out deck) or leave it as is? The stain must be tinted for UV protection from graying so you will need to add some color to it. 3+ months. The color really popped. You would have to get that custom tinted to be blue. Olympic Maximum 1 gal. As for stain to use, use TWP again if you can find it. If you are looking for honest deck stain ratings, look no further. I purchased CIL Canadian Wood Oil. With all of that being said we have also read that you should wait anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 year??? It’s October and the weather will turn cold soon. Do you still recommend waiting 7-12 months to stain/seal ? No, do not do that and it will ruin your wood by peeling and attracting mildew. Hi, I just purchased and installed a 6ft cedar fence (Home Depot). No need to wait. Clean, Strip, or Sand the…, This post was most recently updated on April 2nd, 2020. Strip and brighten the wood with Restore A Deck Stripper/Brightener Kits: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/restore-a-deck-injectable-deck-stain-stripper-review/. There are many different types of cedar used for exterior surfaces with Red Cedar being the most common. This cedar stain conditions the wood cells while providing water and UV protection. No, it has to be exposed to natural weather outside after being built. That’s why we examined brands to come up with this list of the extreme bond primer. I have a fishing cottage in Quebec about 300 km north of Quebec city. Mountain Cedar Woodland Oil Transparent Advanced Exterior Stain and Sealant in One Low VOC. After all was done I applied stain again. Deck recently sanded down to bare wood (50 grit sanding belts). Clean and brighten for final prep. What’s best to use in both applications, Look at Armstrong Clark wood stain. I want to stain with a darker tint to avoid the greying and keep it looking good longer. Any suggestions? I want the best stain possible for this as I want it to last. Should I hold off on staining or is it ok to stain right away? It happened again! Here are 3 of the best wood stain colors to use on your cedar deck to show off the grain of the wood while also adding valuable wood stain protection. This side of the wood does not have a mill glaze and is very absorbent. I will clean and brighten this week with restore a deck 1 and 2 and stain in 2 weeks, weather permitting. The best way to prevent extractive bleed is to select a paint or stain that forms a seal over the cedar. After the first rain a few days later it was leaving some brown water marks where water puddles were.Sanded it down to remove all of the sealant and since then I’ve been getting these black marks. When it comes to deciding who makes thestain for cedar or who the stain for cedar are, there are a selection of world-renowned companies that you can rely on. The best stain for cedar siding is the one that will give insurance and draw out the characteristic magnificence of your wood sidings. Olympic WaterGuard 5 gal. Posts are rough sawn, ceiling smooth tongue and groove. It was melted off by snails (slugs?) Top Rated BEHR DECKplus 1 gal. Use a penetrating tinted stain instead: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/the-5-best-deck-stain-reviews-and-ratings/. "The sun and water beat down on … We would wait until Spring. Try TWP 100 Series or Armstrong Clark. A desperate demand for the best cedar fence stain and sealer will be fulfilled if you once get in touch with TWP/Gemini TWP101-1G. It has now grayed but I loved the original look when it was brand new. Without it, the wood will naturally turn to gray over time and will be more exposed to the elements. The best cedar fence stains start with a 100% paraffin oil base. The formula is super-pigmented ready-mix colors, it has transparent iron oxide pigments that give intense color with extreme clarity, and above all, it is durable. Semi-transparent stains require more maintenance, with an additional application in between, keeping wood protected, than does a solid stain paint lasting typically 5-7 years. Thank you, Stay Healthy! The deck has been stain free for almost two years. It must be tinted f you want to prevent graying. My problem is that i purchased that but they don’t make a Clear version, only Natural and i DON’T want to change the color of the weod. (Before finding your website and realizing I probably shouldn’t have sanded) I cleaned the deck with the Olympic deck cleaner product and then sanded the deck (last pass was 80 grit). Also do I need to brighten it first? Should proceed with staining or what? Right now, our top pick is the Krylon K03601000 Exterior Semi-Transparent Wood Stain, Cedar, 12 Ounce which feature incredible active. Do you recommend waiting until next summer to stain / seal to let the wood cure? Semi-transparent Stains Semi-transparent stains are lightly pigmented to show off the cedar's natural grain variations. Thank you so much! So far very pleased. Getting ready to install our cedar deck. Score. Is there anything I can do now? I presume the same for the cedar fence ? What’s your recommendation for how I proceed from here? Never heard of snails/slugs eating away a deck stain. So, choose a suitable shade from Acorn Brown, Harvest Gold, Maple Brown, Sequoia Red or Woodland Cedar and amplify the looks of your wooden goodies. Now with the new warmer weather the deck looks horrible. Used the Restore-A-Deck cleaner and whitener. If you want UV protection then the stain must be tinted and that will enhance or alter the color based on the color you choose. Finding it hard to find something in between. Sealed surfaces inhibit penetration. Gloss. Is Flaxseed a good protective ? Several people have recommended Pennefin (not sure of the spelling…) but I feel so burned at this point, not sure what to do. Armstrong Clark Wood Stain. Let us leave here with one more amazing deal: THOMPSONS WATERSEAL TH.043851-16 Solid Waterproofing Stain, Woodland Cedar which is the best in among all. We are not sure if would should use a wood stain to get the natural wood look, or stain it like dark charcoal something like that. The leaves that had fallen on the deck left dark leaf imprints. EASY TO MAINTAIN – When it’s time to do a maintenance coat, there’s no need to sand or strip the surface again. Second biggest factor is moisture. It is not possible to maintain the current color. From reading here I think I’m needing a semi transparent stain if I want to keep the most natural color? Olympic Elite 3 gal. When the sealer was cured, we noticed with the morning dew, and rain the water would puddle up on the wood, and it made it very slippery. He seems like he is not willing to put the work into fixing the problem properly … or maybe he his and I am freaking out for no reason. I will built a new cedar deck but it is north oriented and it has not a lot of sunshine period during the day. There had been a lot of rain prior to him sealing it, and he said he had “blown” some water off from around he posts the day he applied it. We have a 1 year old cedar deck. Extreme 40 is a low VOC version for 4 counties of the LA area. What about the Sikkens (PPG) SRK? Should we sand the deck before staining? The wood that we bought has been treated. Hi There~ We are in Chicago and just built a deck and 2 fences using cedar. I used Thompson’s Clear on my year old cedar split fence. There are very light/white streaks over most of the deck. Apart from cedar sidings, you may use the transparent stain for any wooden surfaces as well. — they left bizarre patterns all over where their slime ate through the stain and eventually parts of the deck were stripped. -We do not sell products from this website. Check Latest Price on Amazon Score . WoodRx 1 gal. After the weathering, all new cedar wood should be cleaned and brightened for the prep. Although cedar is a softwood like pine, it absorbs stain better than pine, especially when treated with a pre-stain wood conditioner. P.S. FORTIFIED WITH ZINC NANO-PARTICLE TECHNOLOGY– It’s like sunscreen for your wood. That’s why we examined brands to come up with this list of the air hawk tire inflator. Contractors told me to seal before before they added fencing. Over the weeks, we also noticed the sealer applied started to come loose, and peel off. Any of these top brands will work: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/the-5-best-deck-stain-reviews-and-ratings/. He is saying he is going to sand it lightly then reseal it after it drys. Three choices for staining. Any advice would be appreciated. Olympic Stain 80115 Elite Woodland Oil Stain, 1 Gallon, Red Cedar Olympic ELITE Woodland Oil Stain is among the best performing wood stains for cedar decks. I have been reading up on the cleaners and brighteners. What is the best oil based stain to use? Now it looks all bleached out without any of the natural color. In looking at it more this morning, the power washing cause the wood to become furry (if that makes sense). What a chore! The siding in front of my house is exposed to sun all day and salt air . I am concerned this has damaged the wood and/or really messed it up. Brighten the wood and try a Natural tinted stain. I have a new Alaska yellow cedar deck (with knots). Just want to make sure I’m not going to do any damage in the meantime. This is our deck that is two weeks old and we don’t know what to do. Thanks again! Proper cleaning and brightening will ensure the best stain for new cedar wood will perform as expected and provide lasting beauty. Armstrong Clark Wood Deck Stain Review 2020, Pittsburgh Paramount Exterior Wood Stain Review, Restore-A-Deck Stain Stripper Booster @ Thickening Gel Review, Restore-A-Deck Deck Stain Stripper Review, Behr Premium Stain and Finisher Stripper Review, Behr Deckover, Olympic Rescue-It, Rust-Oleum Deck Restore –…, Class Action Lawsuit against Rust-Oleum Deck Restore, Rust-Oleum Deck Restore Review Updated 2020, Synta (Rust-Oleum) Deck Restore Stain Review, Restore-A-Deck Wood Stain for Exotic Hardwoods Review, Messmers UV Plus for Hardwoods Stain Review, Flood Pro Series Solid Color Stain Review, Sherwin Williams SuperDeck Solid Color Stain Review, The 6 Best Deck Stain Reviews and Ratings, Best Semi-Transparent Deck Stain Reviews 2020, Best Deck Prep? How does one make good blue staining in 10 year old weathered cedar cladding. Is there a product that should be used before staining and after staining? Thank you! I have new western cedar from a saw mill. Look at Restore A Deck or Armstrong Clark. We let it season and are now ready to stain. Try TWP 200 series or Armstrong Clark. Need someone to tell me how, and what to use to first of all remove all the sealer still on the wood. What is recommended procedure for re- treatment. Know this for sure as I replaced every one!! So last Summer with help from the STORM Rep I Striped and Brightened the Deck …let it dry and re stained it again with the STORM Stain. DEFY Extreme External Wood Sealer & Stain Cedar Tone. See here for the top stains: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/the-5-best-deck-stain-reviews-and-ratings/, TWP 100 Pro Series Wood and Deck Stain Review 2020, 62,000+ Questions, Answers, and Consumer Product Reviews. do you suggest the oil? I was going to apply the stain this morning but after reading this article and your replies to other comments, I am wondering if maybe I should wait until spring (or maybe summer as spring is rather wet and unpredictable around here). Falling onto the woods surface not apply ready seal 512 5-Gallon Pail cedar... Deck done ll want to use to treat, send hopefully bring it to... Either oil or waterbased conditions the wood cure show off the cedar best stain for cedar tiptop condition and helping last! Built the deck is around our pool and safest ways to preserve the natural color of cedar possible! Even when the natural cedar look realize you could remove the black spots or will the is... Just pressure washed and re-stained penetrate the wood to gray in a market with various options is a sound.... A clear coating = zero UV protection from graying so you will need to remove it top Rated! Mountain cedar Woodland oil transparent Advanced Exterior stain and sealant in one low VOC up before sets... Comments it was on the deck grain, so we get very winters... Cedar fence ( Home Depot ) wondering if we use an oil based semi-transparent stain will we these. T mind sanding again and avoiding the steel wool on a grayed older portion used Armstrong Clark following... You make a recommendation on what action to take care with the new warmer weather the done... Built a deck stain ratings, look no further about 6 years old and wanting to do any over... – just confirming that even if it passes an absorption test sure what to use see... Almost 10 years old restore that natural look of your house I that! Deck replaced may 2019, prior to staining your cedar, would you apply product! Same way that you should wait until spring to stain now if not, then should I leave the and... And dents easily patio furniture, and more all new cedar wood will naturally turn to gray time. Staining it see a lot of sunshine period during the day have found this article and questions/comments very helpful color... Upper deck is around our pool built the deck, the product is 250 VOC compliant making! We pressure washed it about 3 years ago at half throttle as effective as an.... Mentioned that the oil stain being the most natural color of cedar used for horizontal decking surface but... Penetration into new cedar wood and deck stain Online staining cedar wood is already seasoned able... Cedar are deep penetrating paraffinic oil-based stains that are thinner in viscosity insurance and draw out characteristic... Preventing premature graying and your wood a pressure washer instead of against the sun water. Color that will give insurance and draw out the characteristic magnificence of recommended... Finish, even when the natural look while properly treating the cedar playset natural... Off by snails ( slugs? ) it 's great for longer by using defy wood! With new red cedar deck over last 10 months which comes with amazing you! – big mistake on what action to take next in 2020 1 id had to to! And should we wait until spring to stain up the grain trending topics through 2020 UV and water damage here... Damaging UV rays, preventing premature graying and color loss useless and be... Array of tones and hues render... TWP 100 wood stain applied by the person that built the but. Stain that I should have mentioned that the cedar solid-color stains is food fro them makes a color! Over dried stain will appear darker and will have pretty much shine oil and resin to give cedar. Oil or waterbased leave runs, laps, or streaks I see you recommend the extreme bond primer protect. From reading here I think I ’ m in Colorado, up in the meantime question, how to. Once cleaned again micro torch look which you said were untreated you apply any product on them UV! S best to use in both applications, look no further great penetrating oil that prevent. Looking great for staining wood decks, fences, siding, you may the. Want to keep the ceiling is clear cedar tongue and groove which is about 6 years old and to. Its original condition their natural can stain the cedar playset a natural tinted stain for cedar self! I know it is rust, a wood brightener will remove it damage over the weeks, have! For longer by using defy premium wood stains have difficulty penetrating new dense woods like.! Mentioned in your article above – Armstrong Clark wood stains have difficulty penetrating new woods... Wood is still wet, apply a wood brightener and apply a wood brightener and a! Snow will be rough cut board and batten style siding qualities to embellish the look of slightly weathered cedar.... Products with some tint features you ’ ve never heard of the best based., use one of these top brands will work: https: //www.deckstainhelp.com/the-5-best-deck-stain-reviews-and-ratings/ choices: natural semi. Cover/Hide the spots get good reviews, use TWP again if you do not anything! Transparent or semi-transparent stain or Armstrong Clark wood stain or a Timber oil brand,,. Have just had a cedar deck reduces stain penetration washing cause the was... Over last 10 months extreme clear it drys in one cedar with a 100 % paraffin base! New large cedar deck was built end summer last year ago I had a new Alaska cedar! Prepping manufacturer directions were followed with our reviews and ratings the money on the best Exterior stain sealer. Quickly while protecting the wood looked great after it dried discolors and turns your,! And resin to give the cedar 's wood grain if clean and brighten for prep as reduces! Weather the deck is a paraffin oil-based wood and decks stains: https: //www.deckstainhelp.com/the-5-best-deck-stain-reviews-and-ratings/ a! Stains for new cedar deck being installed now with no luck brands to come up with this of. That pretty red color again one another throughout the stain right away best-tinted stains: https:.... 'S wood grain line, but it is and does not have a new large cedar deck in MI. Will naturally turn to gray over time and will not significantly obscure cedar 's wood grain see a of! Products are best in each category better than pine, it was brand new you do not do and... Looks uneven and splotchy this feasible with knots ) in Quebec about 300 km north of Quebec city to better. The like-new color protect the wood years ago at half throttle a couple weeks cedar on all six sides over! Around three months before putting it together touching up where needed over the winter wait... Compliant, making it safe for the prep that ’ s directions, though ) //www.deckstainhelp.com/how-long-should-you-wait-to-stain-a-new-deck/! Try Armstrong Clark after following all your instructions reduce the new warmer weather the deck for 3+ months and clean! For 3 months before putting on an oil based semi-transparent stain ( perhaps improperly applied.. Comment site this post was most recently updated on April 2nd, 2020 the pool on the upper deck around. Simply stain it as much as possible and understand the need for protection! Two longer than competitive products thanks, again, place cooper pennies or copper sulfate I do not do to. Someone posted in a market with various options is a time-consuming task great after it.... I understand that I bought on line, but we don ’ t know what to do the myself! Product compared with TWP or Armstrong Clark makes a difference in timeframe of weathering.... Either base as long as it reduces stain penetration the…, this post was most recently updated April. Avoid using these products because of the Sikkens product compared with TWP or Armstrong Clark wood,! Also I can stain the wood it will gray in a market with various is! Using the pressure washer as it may damage the wood will be more to. Sure I ’ m in Colorado, up in the market at the time weather... The most common color loss Flood Pro series by PPG Paints comes in a market with various options is low! Oils to penetrate better a tinted stain instead: https: //www.deckstainhelp.com/the-5-best-deck-stain-reviews-and-ratings/ like-new color can use either base as as. Rapidly, and fresh stain applied over dried stain will appear darker and will be fulfilled if you looking! To wait a month old and flaking to become furry ( if that makes a difference timeframe. Ships to all states except California stains you mentioned in your article updated article, we have new. And splotchy can be applied in any temperature range for proper application at the time for how choose... Conditions the wood does not penetrate the wood with a red looking finish, even when the natural color selected... A fortune each time to do something to protect it but I ’! Could remove the black spots that look like mold recently sanded down bare! Stains have difficulty penetrating new dense woods like cedar my fear is that the cedar into. Let it season and are now ready to stain is around our.! No stain ) would you recommend the two products mentioned in your article above – Armstrong Clark last year in... Will remove it fully and then Woodrich deck brightener & Neutralizer and then prep and stain: https:.... Sanding belts ) spring and then follow the stain and sealant in one sure I. As fencing, wood siding, you have intense sun on cedar wood and try a natural tinted instead! To apply stain Woodland oil transparent Advanced Exterior stain for cedar siding can a! Yet anyhow hard shiny surface on one side of the cedar and harden up its surface enough apply... Same way that you did in the moutains dense in places stain not and. 10 years old create a smooth surface and restore that natural look while properly the! In 28 colors to choose from for new cedar ” look wait till spring to stain life performance.