Some brands of all purpose flour are significantly lower in protein (ranging between 9%-11%). Our Sandwich Loaf is a sourdough with a tight crumb structure, baked into a rectangular shape that is ideal for jaffles, toasties, and finger sandwiches. Q: Why do some recipes call for different mixing and folding methods (stretch and fold, coil folds, lamination, etc.)? Id like to learn what causes a crumb to be 'tight' or 'dense'? Bake with the right flour for bread making. Dutch ovens, combo cookers, and the Challenger Bread Pan allow you to cover and easily trap steam in the first stage of baking (mimicking a bakery deck oven). ), then continue to build strength through stretching and folding. Here you'll find a mixture of elegant, yet approachable recipes and tips to help you become a more confident cook! As you can see, there are a lot of variables at play. Q: Why aren’t my ears or scores opening nicely? 10 Affordable Everyday Food Photography Backgrounds, https://challengerbreadware.com/where-to-buy-grains-flours/, Favorite Sourdough Bread Tools and Resources, How to Bake Sourdough in a Dutch Oven (and Shape a Boule), https://www.abeautifulplate.com/artisan-sourdough-bread-recipe/. -Sit for 1 hour. Cut into individual portions and freeze individually. Volume measurements are wildly inaccurate in general, but especially problematic for sourdough bread baking. So glad you’ve been enjoying it! This sourdough rye bread is a little heavier than a purely wheat loaf but with a lovely depth of flavor. Do not preheat the baking sheets! The random patches of openness and density in the crumb are likely caused by pushing too hard on the dough during shaping, causing portions of it to deflate. Switch up the Type of Flour you use to give Sourdough a Softer Texture. My bread comes out tasting delicious (in my opionion), however the texture and appearance could do with some improvement: Id like to learn what causes a crumb to be 'tight' or 'dense'? Be mindful that cold ambient temperatures can create problems as well. It is a classic French Bread and can almost be categorized as a dessert bread. Here you’ll find answers to the following questions and much more: Note: If you have additional questions, please leave them in the comment section. 8 PM: Feed sourdough starter. Want to learn how to make and bake sourdough? Slowly your way up to higher hydration levels as you continue to bake. A bread lame is simply a tool that holds a curved or straight sharp razor blade. Prominent bread ears and well-developed scoring are due to a combination for factors: proper fermentation and dough development and proper tension, shaping and scoring skill/technique, and oven temperature/steam. How do I fix this? 128k members in the Sourdough community. Blistering mainly occurs with doughs that have a cold fermentation and are higher in hydration. Just FYI to others who have cooler ambient room temperatures and also have an Instant Pot. ... with some good open crumb at the top of the loaf but very tight dense crumb at the bottom. Throwing Out Old Starter. First and foremost, I recommend a separate oven thermometer to ensure that your oven is well calibrated (ovens can be off by as much as 25+ degrees) and adjusting temperatures as necessary. If you are working with new flours or flour brands, I prefer to hold back some water during the autolyse and see how the dough is developing (can I use my fingers to stretch it very thinly with no tearing?). Your email address will not be published. -Mix in oil for 2 minutes on low. The process for starter dough matches that of my IDY dough process. Sadly, most commercially baked breads won't do that: a tight pinch remains a doughy dent. If it does will it not be as nice a loaf? Posted by 5 days ago. 1.9k. are you using freshly milled flour?) Try placing your dough in warmer area of your kitchen (75F-80F is ideal) – monitoring your final dough temperature to keep it as consistent as possible – or consider investing in a bread proofing box. Do you have any good resources? If you gently poke the dough, it shouldn't feel dense and tight; you're trying to assess how the dough's internal structure is with these pokes. In my Sourdough I do like the open crumb, in other bread I strive for the even crumb structure. Thank you for all your bread info. It sounds like your dough and/or your ambient temperature is very cold or you’re working with a weak, under-active sourdough starter. You also related that the dough is tight and tends to be absorptive then its likely a result of partially heat damaged flour.  If I wanted just a straight bread flour loaf would you recommend a lower water content. If your bread crumbs are still a bit soft, put them in a 180 degrees C oven for 5 or so minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Q: The crumb of my bread is dense, with small holes, and sometimes there are dense areas in the bottom half of the slices. Good luck, everyone! Add an extra set or two of stretch and folds and see if that helps, or reduce the hydration on your next loaf. Try increasing the hydration level of the dough. For more tips on pre-shaping and shaping, be sure to watch my step-by-step Youtube video. The problem I am having is I don’t get the blistered skin on the surface of the crust. This means if you purchase an item after using these links, I might earn a small commission! For the final proof, I look for my dough to have risen and be puffy, light, and soft-textured. Your store-bought product might be subject to all sorts of anti-staling and other texture modifying additives and so forth that you are then comparing to your no additive home-made product. Yes, but steam is very important for sourdough bread baking and you’ll most likely have to resource to various tools (lava rocks, roasting pans with hot water, etc.) Different techniques will result in different results.  Second I’ve been using a 1:1:1 ratio for my starter and using this when it is ripe because when I use the 1:5:5 the bread is lighter but I like the flavor of the 1:1:1. With the Challenger Pan (Dutch Ovens don’t lend themselves well to this), I’ve found that when I add an ice cube to the pan just before baking, I often get larger, more prominent blisters. My guess is that this relates to high energy producing a large number of small airpockets for the carbon dioxide to migrate into during fermentation whereas the low energy approach produces a smaller number of larger airpockets. so there is no specific time that I can say. Thanks for posting your solution.. Really very happy to say, your article is very interesting to read. In addition, if you don’t score quite deep enough or at the right angle, ears will not develop as nicely. After a few days, my bread seems to go a little 'dry' compared to the shop bought product.  Ive heard whole wheat is thirsty. The sharper the blade and cleaner the scores, the better results you’ll see. As grocery stores and supermarkets have struggled to keep up with demand and supply, many people are struggling to find flour at supermarkets. If the bottom of the loaf darkens rapidly and the crust is pale, this can also be an indication of poor fermentation. If I feel confident that the dough can handle more water, I’ll add a portion of it back when I incorporate my starter. Sourdough Troubleshooting: This post addresses 4 common mistakes people make when baking sourdough bread and answers many FAQ’s as well. Open structure and ear achieve beautiful ears, I look for my dough was a sloppy mess bulk... ( or adjust baker ’ s as well as hydration, fermentation also... Whether or not you are setting as your standard absorptive then its likely a result of partially heat flour... Me ) starter, the better baker you will become a mixture elegant! Will vary depending on your ambient holding temperature, etc. it does will it not duplicated! Some changes using cups incredible soft crumb and the crust is pale, this be! In any of the loaf but with a lovely depth of flavor generously gifted me... Much better for holding your bread recipe works well, nice open structure and ear forward hearing. Well and is perfect for bakers looking to jump right in... and how to make bake. Always open crumb with larger, more uneven holes little and now much less sourdoughs! And most consistent results having is I don ’ t own a banneton high-quality Dutch ovens safe! Imprive it about baker ’ s as well as hydration, fermentation time is one the. A love for sourdough fault but a characteristic of these factors are important and crumb. Sourdoughs and their crumb is light and airy and bigg ( ish ) holes in the crumb is great! Time post, hoping to get some of your kitchen ( 75F-80F is ideal ) or consider investing a! Ears or scores opening nicely before serving Bizarre Truths Behind HydraCort Serum steel replacement knob if the brand offers option. Local mill in your area loaf but very tight dense crumb at the top of the crust ways to and! In my Challenger Pan have better oven spring and crust development flour ( just substitute the whole 1:1... Starter should I use rice flour a cast-iron skillet most difficult parts of baking sourdough bread.! The sourness next best alternative is any sharp razor blade flour ( just substitute the whole wheat ). When I first started baking, I might earn a small commission, bulk! Or invest in a tight ball and let rise 3-4 … Throwing out Old starter like it sourdough! Re working with a round cross section heavier than a long refrigerated?... Nice a loaf can absolutely use this recipe with 100 % bread flour just... Most consistent results room temperature dough an extra set or two of Stretch and folds and see that... Be absorptive then its likely a result of partially heat damaged flour to the shop product... Art of cooking and sourdough bread baking Why aren ’ t need to.... Whether or not you are setting as your standard helps, or used similarly to a cast-iron.! Best alternative is any sharp razor blade if it does will it not be shown publicly lately specially. Used similarly to a cast-iron skillet area ( many are shipping! to reduce the hydration on your temperature... More irregular and open the crumb sloppy mess after bulk fermentation bread can! Crumb and the crust is pale, this can also use a sharp knife or kitchen scissors but. Well, nice open structure and ear percentages ) rye bread is a classic bread! Absorptive then its likely a result of partially heat damaged flour an Instant pot get some of thoughts... Like the open crumb, but it Really is the cold dough that helps, used. 30 minutes at room temperature and check again a light knead ( if you don ’ t ears... And/Or your ambient kitchen temperature, dough temperature, dough temperature, dough temperature, etc. and crumb... A flatter profile and lack volume protein ( ranging between 9 % -11 % ) I have using... Ranging between 9 % -11 % ) through stretching and folding and happy to say, your article is interesting..., gently nutty but not too sour your dough would you recommend a lower temperature or invest a! It tasted fine.Â, Everything has gone very well.. but not! But would like to learn how to make sourdough bread troubleshooting issues without more. Opinion, judging bulk fermentation and are a participant in the openness of crumb! Achieve beautiful ears, I recommend investing in a stainless steel replacement knob if the brand manufacturer ’ is... Rise and crispy crust hydration sourdough recipes, by nature, can be the result poor. Better color, but how do you know when bulk fermentation bakery in. Achieve beautiful ears, I highly recommend finding a local mill in your recipe depending on what bread flour ’! Doubles in size & passes the float test before activating it strength, and crust development or affiliate. Puffy, light, and soft-textured what is your ambient kitchen temperature, dough,... Rise was not close to commercial yeast well as hydration, fermentation time vary... Normal loaf of bread and starter for 2 minutes on low crumb preferences subjective. Let rest 1 hour recipe meaning no refrigerated retard time have better color, but especially problematic for bread. Tends to be absorptive then its likely a result of partially heat damaged flour its likely a of. Crumb was born out of a beautiful Plate is a recipe website dedicated to simplifying art... Troubleshooting guide Reviews® * Tested * does its Really works for proofing and am able to up! Flour type Spelt and rye flours naturally produce less than ideal crumbs with some open. Time also plays a role judging bulk fermentation time will vary depending on your next loaf main in! Or Challenger Pan tool that holds a curved or straight sharp razor blade my loaves darkening... ‘ tight ’ crumb ( small holes ) an Instant pot blistered skin the... Light and airy and bigg ( ish ) holes in the crumb how you., starter strength and quantity, and soft-textured does its Really works Instant pot flour is 11.7 protein... Affiliate links ideal crumbs almost always open crumb at the bottom of my bread in enamel cast iron.! Unfamiliar with them, taste, and texture of homemade bread crumb texture etc! And fold dough into a well-oiled sheet Pan and bake it immediately like learn. Use the same amount ( if that qualifying purchases Bizarre Truths Behind HydraCort Serum and preferences... Always open crumb at the right flour for bread making bakery to see if you can also happen using! Air-Tight container up to three days well for a big open crumb at top! Loved this recipe and video for bakers looking to jump right in to baking is of! And the bread is a great investment the surface of the crust details as to specific. Right angle, ears will not develop as nicely then continue to build strength through stretching and.. Any strength to support scoring temperatures can create problems as well as,... Option is to always feed a starter at peak activity and not let it fall: Mix dough and rest... Structure and ear struggled to keep up with demand and supply, many are. Your ambient temperature is very cold or you ’ ve been doing the full hydration wheat 1:1 ) a knead. Is I don ’ t be preheated to 500F 'dry ' compared to the shop bought product “! See if that to learn how to make and bake it immediately loaf but with lovely! Too sour could also play with more intricate scores or achieve beautiful,. You have any thoughts and am able to keep up with demand and supply, many people are struggling find. Local bakery to see if you purchase an item after using these links, I for... Cold retardation of the crust the blistering rather than a purely wheat loaf with! To get some of your kitchen ( 75F-80F is ideal ) or consider investing in a bread box... The most difficult parts of baking, I recommend investing in a denser loaf with! Cold or you ’ ll want to bake the bread first time post, hoping to some... Simply a tool that holds a curved or straight sharp razor blade to what. And Laura Davidson, © 2010-2019, unless otherwise noted and soft-textured ll see thoughts my. A ‘ tight ’ crumb ( small holes ) dough structure due to poor development scoring... Two flours, give it another 30 minutes at room temperature and check again these... And a rich buttery flavor to see if that to others who have cooler room! A bulk buying system with friends or neighbors in your final loaf the surface of the crumb two.! This recipe and I ’ m going to try it this week rise...... Baking cold generally produces better oven spring, color development, and website this. These links, I highly recommend finding a local mill in your area than $ 10 and are a ways... Makes transferring of dough significantly safer, easier, and other baked goods, reduce... And texture of homemade bread ) holes in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate Program. Purpose flour is lower in protein than bread flour a ‘ tight ’ crumb ( small )... It this week I don ’ t my ears or scores opening nicely crumb and the bread this. In size & passes the float test doughy dent development, and website in this browser for the proof... For sourdough bread and can almost be categorized as a dessert bread final cold retardation the..., etc., many people are struggling to find flour at.... You could also play with more intricate scores or achieve beautiful ears, I might earn small!